University of Washington, Bothell
Salary and benefits are compet
Seattle, WA, United States
Insurance, Administrative, Education, It
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for five consecutive years.
Compliance & Risk Services has an outstanding opportunity for an Insurance Administrator
Under the general direction of the Director, Risk Financing, the Insurance Administrator independently manages the client inquiries, business processes and daily operations for the University’s commercial insurance portfolio of over 50 policies. This position works closely with the University’s insurance broker of record and UW clients across all locations. Responsibilities include managing the annual renewal applications and processes, handling mid-year changes, providing UW clients with policy information, maintaining electronic policy files, administering the premium payment and recharge system, and assisting the Director, Risk Financing and the Executive Compliance & Risk Officer with the management of the UW’s self-insurance programs.
Successful candidate must have expertise administering a complex, multi-line insurance portfolio and exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. Must have the ability to work independently with little or no supervision. Requires sound judgment and the highest dedication to accuracy, compliance and ethics. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while balancing a multitude of deadlines is essential; experience working with confidential matters.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Administers a complex property, construction, casualty, surety and student health commercial insurance portfolio (80%)
• Manages annual renewals:
o Manages calendar of annual renewal dates and initiates planning for each renewal with Director, Risk Financing & Consulting and insurance brokers;
o Gathers data for applications, completes applications for Director approval, transmits to brokers;
o Assists in communicating renewal terms to clients, compiling responses and communicating coverage orders to brokers as directed by the Director, Risk Financing & Consulting;
o Processes renewal invoice and any associated recharges;
o Reviews binders, endorsements and policies for accuracy;
o Documents all stages of renewal process.
• Manages mid-year policy changes:
o Processes requests from clients;
o Orders routine coverage additions and deletions from brokers and communicates placement to clients;
o Reviews binders, endorsements and policies for accuracy;
o Responds to audit requests and requests for information.
• Manages financial transactions:
o Processes $12M in annual premium payments and any recharges accurately and timely and in compliance with State budgetary and ethics regulations;
o Maintains complete documentation of recharges, including allocation methods, client budget data and recharge transactions;
o Maintains Risk Financing budget premium reconciliation spreadsheet by checking monthly budget transactions against record of premium payments and recharges.
• Acts as liaison between campus departments, insurance brokers and insurers:
o Sets up annual renewal meetings and any interim meetings with brokers;
o Coordinates and attends campus visits by insurer representatives;
o Transmits client questions requiring broker input to brokers and transmits response back to client. Ensures accurate and timely responses from brokers;
o Responds to broker and insurance vendor marketing calls as requested.
• Provides prompt, professional, knowledgeable and accurate customer service to UW clients:
o Communicates coverage terms and provides written summaries with assistance from the broker of record
o Assists clients with coverage changes;
o Provides assistance with claims filing by routing to brokers or CRS Claim Services as appropriate, or gathering information and transmitting information timely when contacts are not available;
o Assists with proof of coverage by routing to Risk Financing Program Coordinator or brokers for certificates of insurance;
o Provides documentation for financial transactions as requested.
• Ensures the accuracy and completeness of the UW’s insurance correspondence and policy files;
o Reviews and maintains the organizational structure of a complex file system across multiple media;
o Downloads policies and related correspondence from the broker SharePoint site;
o Reviews all policies for accuracy versus annual renewal orders;
o Maintains electronic insurance correspondence and policy files according program organizational standards;
o Provides hard copy policies and insurance correspondence to the Risk Financing Program Coordinator for filing;
o Ensures through regular reviews that both the electronic and hard copy insurance correspondence and policy files are up to date and accurately maintained according to the UW’s record retention schedule.
• Creates and maintains efficient and accurate data collection and tracking systems for out of state workers’ compensation, foreign travel, personal and real property insurance policies.
• Assists the Director, Risk Financing & Consulting with general administration of the UW insurance programs:
o Staffs the International Student Insurance Policy annual renewal committee, co-chaired by the Director, Risk Financing & Consulting;
o Assists with the selection and evaluation of UW’s insurance brokers and administrators;
o Suggests insurance coverage changes and improvements to the Director, Risk Financing & Consulting
o Suggests process changes and improvements to all systems and processes;
o Works with Risk Financing Analyst to maintain and update Risk Financing& Consulting website.
Assists with the administration of the University’s statutory liability self-insurance program and captive insurance company (10%)
• Under the direction of the Director, Risk Financing& Consulting prepares the annual reinsurance renewal application. Works as a team with UW brokers, Health Sciences Risk management and other partners to identify and compile data into pre-determined format. Finalizes submissions to brokers for submission to carriers once information is compiled, and submission approved by the Executive Compliance & Risk Officer
• Maintains the captive insurance company’s electronic policy files;
• Answers routine inquiries regarding the terms and conditions of the self-insurance program per information on the CRS website. Refers complex coverage questions to the Director, Risk Financing;
• Assists the Director, Risk Financing & Consulting and Administrative Specialist with maintaining the captive insurance company’s business files;
• Updates the ‘Schedule of Reinsurance Policies’ spreadsheet with policy information annually after July 1 renewals;
• Produces certificates of self-insurance when the Risk Financing Program Coordinator is not available or as requested by the Director, Risk Financing & Consulting.
Assists with the administration of the self-insured Equipment Insurance Program (EIP) (10%)
• Answers UW customer questions concerning EIP coordination with other UW property and transit insurance programs;
• Answers general questions regarding the coverage, claims, and enrollment process for EIP as needed;
• Provides back up to Risk Financing Analyst for monthly billing and customer service via phone and email as needed;
• Works with Risk Financing Analyst to maintain and update the Equipment Insurance website.
Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Risk Management or related field
• Four to five years working in commercial property and casualty insurance; or risk management with substantial insurance administration experience
• Excellent computer skills using Adobe and Microsoft Office products to include Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint and PowerPoint
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• ARM, AIM or AIC. Courses in CPCU designation series accepted.
• Experience in university or public sector insurance administration
• University of Washington experience
• Strong project and time management skills
• Excellent client relations skills;
• Self-motivated and focused, with a positive attitude.
• Demonstrated professional demeanor and ability to collaborate and work well with people throughout all levels of an organization.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter
and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your My Jobs page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability
, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com
University of Washington, Bothell
Website : http://www.bothell.washington.edu/
A regional, metropolitan university With more than 5,000 students and 45 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, the University of Washington Bothell is the fastest-growing four-year public university in the state of Washington. For more than 25 years, UW Bothell has fulfilled its mandate to provide access and opportunity to students from North King and Snohomish counties and across the state of Washington. UW Bothell: A national reputation For two years in a row (2014-15), the University of Washington Bothell has been ranked No. 1 in both the state of Washington and the Pacific Northwest, according to Money magazine. In 2015, Money ranked UW Bothell No. 36 in its overall list of best colleges. Read the Money magazine story. Washington Monthly ranked UW Bothell no. 13 in the nation in the “best bang for the buck” category. UW Bothell is gaining a national reputation for its STEM program. Money magazine has listed UW Bothell third on its national list of “25 great, accessible colleges for aspiring scientists and engineers”